Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Jun 15, 2012

Ham, green beans and potatoes

Since mother's day, I have been posting recipes supplied by my mother and collecting family recipes from others in order to share them here so we all can enjoy them. While talking to friends, I realized how many recipes were lost because it was a pinch of this and a dash of that and nobody took the time to write a base to start from. My brother, through a comment made to his wife, reinforced the fact that our mother did the same thing just by the virtue that she never made something the same way twice. Hubby gets frustrated because I don't either, but at least I come by it honestly. In an effort to save frustration and, more recently, to save old favorites, this blog was started. This paragraph has now come full circle and we can get on to the recipe - ham, green beans and potatoes. Similar to the Chicken pot pie recipe (http://tryandlike.blogspot.com/2011/03/chicken-pot-pie.html), this is just a guide. Purchase enough ham, potatoes and canned green beans for the number of people you want to feed. You can use home canned beans if you have them. Cut the ham into cubes and put in a slow cooker. Cut the potatoes into cubes and add to the slow cooker (you may peel them, if you must.) Open the beans and pour over everything in the slow cooker. Cook on low for several hours, until the potatoes are soft. Salt is not necessary, it will come from the ham and beans. Mom would sometimes use canned potatoes or, if she was inside to monitor the stove, use a dutch oven on top of the stove instead of a slow cooker. Other options? Cubed turnips, sliced cabbage, a little caraway seed. Play with it, or just use
the old stand by.

No comments :

Post a Comment