Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Feb 1, 2012

HMMMM, What to eat?

Choosing what to eat can be a difficult - and a mindless decision.  Just grabbing food on the go and/or putting food on the table or bags of chips next to me while I worked lead to eating many more calories than I had intended to eat.  "Dang, I ate it all" became a common occurrence.  Taking a little time to think about what you eat and plan your day can go a long way in healthier choices.  Several people have told me that just by cutting out the soda and/or limiting to one a day (either 1.5 or 2 servings, depending on can/bottle) led to 5lb weight loss in a week - or more.  It is amazing how little changes like that can make a huge difference. Another tool is to stay away from processed foods.  That can be tough - even butter is processed.  I would expect it to be cream and salt - but there is also food coloring.  Most things, unless you make them from scratch, have extra ingredients.  I don't make everything from scratch - although I have been known to make butter - but I choose my battles.  Why purchase canned broth or stock when you can easily make and freeze your own concentrated stock?  Check the label - especially if it says no artificial preservatives, I would imagine the sodium content is high.  Why?  Sodium is a natural preservative.

Some people can go on the fad diets and do well, but I know they are not for me.  I like potatoes, occasional desserts, steak, butter - all those things that you aren't supposed to have.  Moderation and being aware of what I eat are huge successes for me, but you have to do what works for you.  My favorite kitchen tool has become my digital scale (http://tryandlike.blogspot.com/2011/06/must-have-cooking-tool-can-help-with.html).  I weigh everything I can in grams - more accurate - and it has given me a much better view of what a portion size is.  Reading labels is also helpful - how do I know what a serving size is if I don't read the label.  Okay, there aren't labels on the potatoes I get from the farmers market, that is why I use the Tap and Track app (http://tryandlike.blogspot.com/2010/08/tap-track.html) - it gives me nutrition information as well as serving sizes.

So, how do YOU know what to eat?  Know yourself, take small steps and talk to your doctor or a nutritionist.  Thinking of Atkins?  The diet is a planned level of ketosis that could have side effects, depending on your family history and/or current health status.  Family history of heart disease and stroke should also be discussed with your health care professional.  Cutting out sweets?  We have all had those cravings - and diet sodas can make sugar cravings worse.   So what does this boil down to - find something that you are comfortable with, discuss it with your health care provider and get started.  If you find that it doesn't work for you it doesn't mean all is lost, it just means that you need to rethink your game plan and consider what you have learned.  I have learned that I do much better if I have protein in the morning with a complex carbohydrate.

The next topic?  Dairy Products.  Stay tuned.

No comments :

Post a Comment