Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Aug 17, 2010

Angel Food Cake

Don't let this cake intimidate you - it is easy to do with a little patience.  Just ask my niece, who was here the second time I made it and reminded me that I said I would never do it again.

1 3/4 Cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 Cup cake flour, sifted
12 egg whites (the closer to room -temperature the better)
1/3 Cup warm water
1 tsp orange extract, or extract of your choice
1 1/2 Tsp cream of tartar

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  In a food processor spin sugar about 2 minutes until it is superfine. Sift*** half of the sugar with the salt the cake flour, setting the remaining sugar aside. In a large bowl combine combine remaining sugar, egg whites, water, orange extract, and cream of tartar.  With a hand mixer, mix on low for 2 minutes then switch to high speed. Switch to a hand mixer until you have achieved medium peaks.  Sift 1/4 of the flour mixture in to dust the top of the foam. Using a spatula fold in gently. Repeat 3 more times.  Carefully spoon mixture into an ungreased tube pan. Bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness with a wooden skewer. (When inserted halfway between the inner and outer wall, the skewer should come out dry).

Cool upside down on cooling rack for at least an hour before removing from pan.


***If you do not own a sifter, use a fine mesh screen/strainer to sprinkle the flour, it works just as well.

No comments :

Post a Comment