Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Nov 28, 2015

Apple Strudel


My mother-in-law asked for an apple pie, but I was out of pie pans.  I offered an apple strudel recipe and I believe she was even happier with the results.

5 Cups Granny Smith Apples, peeled and chopped
3/4 Cup Apple Cider
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
1/4 Tsp Ginger
1 Frozen Puff Pastry Sheet, thawed
1 Egg
1 Tbl Water
1 Tbl Sugar

In a large saucepan, combine the apples, cider, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes until apples are tender.  Set aside.

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  When the oven is hot, place pastry sheet on parchment and roll to a rectangle no larger than 16 x 12 (mine was only 14 x 11). Use a slotted spoon, arrange apples on lower half of pastry to within 1 inch of edge.  Starting with the narrow edge closest to the apples, roll up jelly roll style.  Pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.

In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and water.  Brush over pastry and sprinkle with additional sugar.  Score top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.

No comments :

Post a Comment