Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Nov 26, 2015

Fig and Pepper Bread

Have you ever read a book that referenced a recipe that sounded wonderful - and mentioned it A LOT?  I had that recently when i read First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen.  Luckily, at the end of the book, there was a recipe.  The recipe pictured a fresh fig, but did not specify fresh or dried in the list.  I used dried - it still turned out well, but I will try again with fresh, when they are in season.  When using dried figs, add at the same time you add the flour to allow them to be mixed in more consistently.  Also, I did not have unbleached flour, so I used regular.



2 Cups Wholegrain Spelt Flour
2 1/2 Cups Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Cup Coarsely Chopped Figs
2 Tsp Course Black Pepper
2 Tsp Sea Salt
2 Tbl Olive Oil
2 1/4 Tsp (1 Packet) Dry Yeast
1 1/2 Cups Warm Water

Whisk flour, salt, pepper and yeast until blended.  Add olive oil and warm water.  Knead for 10 minutes (or use mixer dough hook) for 5 minutes until dough is smooth and springy.

Oil a large bowl, place dough inside and cover bowl with a damp hand towel.  Let sit in a warm place for approximately 1 hour, or until doubled in size.

Softly knead in the chopped figs, shape into an oval and place on a baking sheet.

Snip three shallow lines into the top of the dough with scissors then lightly dust the bread with flour.

Set aside to allow to rise a bit more, turning the oven to 350 degrees.  Once the oven is hot, place tray in oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until crust is slightly brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the underside.

No comments :

Post a Comment