Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Apr 29, 2011

By Request - Potato Candy

Recently, a friend was looking at a post and said OOOO, potato candy.  Then informed me that the recipe I have here is not what she grew up with.  She was looking for the rolled potato candy that is filled with peanut butter.  I told her that I had grown up with that candy and my mother's instructions were to, and I quote, 'take whatever leftover mashed potato you have, mix in powdered sugar until you can roll it out, spread it with peanut butter.  Roll it up carefully and cut into pieces'

Have you ever done this?  I used to start with WAY too much potato and would need really obnoxious amounts of sugar to get anything near being able to roll.  So, to keep in simple, I experimented and found the following works well.  Keep in mind, sugar may need to be added, depending on humidity.

1/2 cup mashed potatoes (no added milk, butter, sour cream, etc.  Just potatoes)
2 to 2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
peanut butter

Mix together the potatoes and 2 lbs of the sugar.  If it is no longer sticky and can be rolled out, proceed.  If not, add sugar until the desired consistency is reached.

Roll flat.  Spread with peanut butter (smooth or chunky).  Roll up, jelly roll style.  Cut into pieces and wrap in parchment, wax paper or cellophane.

No comments :

Post a Comment