Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Dec 15, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent - works in HE washers, too.

Lots of people have told me how wonderful, and inexpensive, homemade laundry detergent is to make and use.  I finally decided to try to make it myself.  Initially, I planned on making liquid laundry detergent, then I started research.  The cooking was not bad, but it makes a 5 gallon bucket.  I was not sure I wanted to have that much, so I then went to the manual for my front loading washer.  I learned that I can use powdered laundry detergent and put it in the soap drawer, the same place that I put my liquid detergent.  WOO HOO - powdered it was.  Then I discovered that there are MANY variations of soap to enhancer variations (1/2 cup to 1 cup to each 1 cup of soap).  After talking to some that have used homemade detergent, I opted for slightly more Washing Soda and Borax to fight those sweaty exercise clothes.

I have completed my soap and will be storing it in blue ball jars with zinc lids because it looks nice, but you can store it in anything from a zip top bag to a plastic container.  I have washed my first load - towels - and did not add a drier sheet.  The towels are still fresh and fluffy.  Not saying I will never use drier sheets again, just wanted to see an outcome.

To Use:  Add 1 to 3 teaspoons per load, depending on size of load and amount of dirt to be removed.  Please note:  This is not a sudsing soap.  You won't see bubbles, but it is working.

Another tip I received:  You can add Oxi Clean for extra stain fighting power.  I have not done so (I didn't have any), but you can also add it on a load by load basis.

I found all items at my local grocery store and I purchased the following:



1 Bar Fels Naptha Soap
1 Box Borax
1 Box Washing Soda

Grate the bar of soap with a cheese grater.


You should get about three cups.

Add 2 1/4 cups Washing Soda AND 2 1/4 Cups Borax (1 Used a 1:.75:.75 ratio, but you can use anywhere from 1:.5:.5 to 1:1:1)

Put all ingredients into a food processor.

Pulse until powdered - keep the lid on the processor for a few minutes until the dust settles.


Place in an air tight container.

No comments :

Post a Comment