Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Sep 22, 2014

Tour Day

We live in Central Pennsylvania.  Lots of things to do here if you are a 'tourist' - but if you live here, you just never seem to get there.  Hubby and I decided to end that today and found a link between two of them with AMF.

Stop 1 - Harley Davidson Vehicle Operations Center, York, PA.



Hubby and I ride.  Even if we didn't, this is a long standing company with a great history. It is also the only American Motorcycle Manufacturer.  The tour starts with a 10 minute video followed by a walking tour inside the factory that takes about 45 minutes.  You are given a pin (that you keep), safety goggles and a headset so you can hear the tour guide no matter where you are in line.  It is amazing to see the fabrication.  I'll admit, I geeked out a little when I heard lean manufacturing, saw flow charts and even continuous improvements team meeting boards.  Ah, well to each his own :)

Next stop, Sturgis Pretzel Factory, Lititz, PA (Thanks, Tom and Mary Ann).


You get a history of the house (1 small house, FOURTEEN kids), the additions for the ovens, the tools used and an idea of the salaries.  Who knew a pretzel twister would be considered skilled labor?  Then, you get to twist your own pretzel while you learn what each step means.  Complete with a pretzel twisting certificate.


After twisting, it is off to the ovens.

Final stop, Wilbur Chocolate.  Hershey's is not the only chocolatier in Pennsylvania!  This is a nice self guided tour to look through the history of Wilton - and select chocolates.  I even found a large bag of Dutch Process Cocoa!

What is the AMF connection?  For a period of time AMF (you know, the company that makes bowling pin setters?) owned Harley Davidson.  They also made the first pretzel machines used by Sturgis.

No comments :

Post a Comment