Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Mar 8, 2020

Sorta Sourdough

I am taking a sourdough starter class in June.  I have a pottery bread baking bowl I wanted to use today - and I used it to make bread that starts with a sponge that is allowed to 'ferment' for a few hours before beginning the bread.  Hence, Sorta Sourdough.




Sponge
  • 1 Tsp Yeast
  • 1 Cup Warm Water - no warmer than 110 degrees
  • 1 Cup Bread Flour 
  • 2 Tbl Sugar
In a large bowl(I used a bowl for my stand mixer), mix ingredients with a whisk until smooth.  Cover and let stand about 2 hours - will be very bubbly.
Before:

After:

Dough 
  • 1/2 Tsp Yeast
  • 1/2 Cup Warm Water (No warmer than 110 degrees)
  • 1 1/2 Tsp Salt
  • 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
  • 1 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 1/2 Cup Bread Flour
Stir the yeast into warm water, set aside.

Stir sponge with a wooden spoon.  Add the yeast mixture, salt and olive oil to the sponge and beat well with spoon.

Put bowl on mixer with dough hook attachment.  In a separate bowl, stir together the Wheat and Bread flours.  Add 1/2 cup flour mixture at a time, up to 2.5 cups, mixing well after each addition.  You will add flour until a soft dough forms that pulls away from the sides of the bowl but will be sticky.  Knead for at least 5 minutes - dough will form a ball and will be lest sticky.  If it is not pulling away from bowl and hook because it is too sticky, add more flour 1 tbl at a time.   Be careful - you cannot over knead, but you can over flour.

When done, put into a bowl coated with olive oil, turn to coat evenly, let rise in a cool room temp (I set my proofer to 70).  


Rise until tripled in size (2 to 3 hours)

Butter your baking dish, set aside.

After the second rise, place the dough into your baking vessel, then turn the oven on to 425 degrees.  

Allow bread to rise at least double again.  

Bake for 30 minutes - if it starts to brown too much, cover lightly with non stick foil.  Check for doneness and cook for up to another 15 minutes.




Cool completely before slicing.

No comments :

Post a Comment