Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Mar 23, 2012

Short Cake like you have rarely had

When I say strawberry short cake, hubby pictures a light, spongy cake - maybe even a dessert shell - or angel food cake.  I, however, do not.  Growing up, we had a very dry, crumbly cake made in a 9 inch square pan, cut apart, crumbled and topped with fruit, milk and sugar.  It is almost a pancake recipe in contents and was often a breakfast base for fruit.  Hubby was not amused the first time I made it and he was expecting something else.  The following recipe I received from my parents.  Growing up, shortening was lard.  Now, however, I use Crisco.  You could use butter or butter flavored Crisco, but this is one of those recipes that you want a very neutral flavor so the fruit can shine.


  2 C Flour                                                                                 2 Tsp Sugar
  5 Tsp Baking Powder                                                               1/4 C Shortening
  1 Tsp Salt                                                                                 2/3 C Milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Mix and sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.  Add shortening and milk.  Pour into a greased 9 x 9 pan and bake for 15 - 20 minutes.

No comments :

Post a Comment