Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Jul 31, 2012

Marshmallows - Dorothy Thomas

Last year, my mother wanted to learn how to make marshmallows, so I found a recipe and shared it with her.  This one I received from my mother in law - it was her mothers.

2 packages Knox gelatin dissolved in 2/3 cup cold water.


3/4 cup hot water
2 cups sugar

Combine and boil until it spins a thread.

Stir in gelatin mixture, 1/2 tea salt and 1 tsp vanilla

That was the extent of the instructions.   To clarify:

Combine 1/4 cup each cornstarch and powdered sugar.  Lightly spray a 9x9 pan with cooking spray, toss the powdered sugar mixture in the pan until well coated, keeping any extra sugar mixture.  Set aside.


Dissolve the gelatin in a VERY large bowl of a stand mixer, set aside until you make the sugar.

When the sugar/water mixture spins a thread, pour it very slowly into the gelatin mixture with the mixer on low.  When all of the syrup is added, turn the mixer to high and beat until cool and thick, adding the salt and vanilla when lukewarm.

Pour into prepared pan, dust with additional sugar mixture and cool completely.  Cut with a pizza cutter or knife coated with confectioners sugar.

No comments :

Post a Comment