Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Sep 11, 2012

Tuesday Trivia - Umami

Way back when in high school biology, I learned that there were 4 basic tastes - sweet, salty, sour and bitter.  Recently, I have heard the term umami.  The actual taste is savory, but the name umami was adopted in 1985 at the first symposium of the Umami International Symposium in Hawaii (though savory was originally conceived as a flavor in 1908).  From http://www.umamiinfo.com, "... umami is a pleasant savoury taste imparted by glutamate, a type of amino acid, and ribonucleotides, including inosinate and guanylate, which occur naturally in many foods including meat, fish, vegetables and dairy products. As the taste of umami itself is subtle and blends well with other tastes to expand and round out flavors, most people don't recognize umami when they encounter it, but it plays an important role making food taste delicious."

No comments :

Post a Comment