Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Aug 9, 2013

Dorothy Thomas' Potato Salad

Of all of the recipes that my Mother In Law shared, this is the one that I have used the most (so far).  This is also one of the recipes that had the least amount of instructions.  So, while I don't know that I am making it exactly like my Grandmother In Law, but my Mother In Law said that it tastes correct.  For mustard, I used Bookbinders Horseradish Mustard.  What you need:

1/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Flour
2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Vinegar (I used Apple Cider Vinegar)
1/2 Tsp Mustard
2 Eggs
1 Cup Milk
1 Tbl Butter

You will notice, this does not list bacon or potatoes.    You also need:

6 - 8 slices bacon.
1 to 4 lbs of potatoes - Yes, 1 lb makes a very CREAMY potato salad, but that is okay.

Cube potatoes and boil until soft.  While cooking, put a large skillet on the stove.  Beat together sugar, salt, mustard and eggs.  Set aside.


Line skillet with bacon and cook over medium heat until crisp.  Remove from pan to paper towels, set aside.  Carefully add butter to the pan.  Stir in flour.


Add the milk, about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. 

With the first addition, it will become almost the consistency of mashed potatoes as it thickens.  That is how you know when it is time to add more milk.

By the end of the milk, it will look like this:

Add the vinegar all at once.

IT WILL CURDLE - this is expected when you add vinegar to milk.  This is what you want, this is what adds the tang to the dressing.  It will not make you sick.

Stir together then add the egg mixture (I temper some of my milk mixture into the eggs, but that is a personal preference).

Stir together.

Drain potatoes and put in a bowl large enough to stir easily.

Pour dressing over potatoes and stir together.

Crumble bacon and add to the potato salad.  Stir and enjoy.






No comments :

Post a Comment