Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Aug 1, 2013

Baked Beans

Next up in my BGE endeavor - baked beans.  I will admit that the temp on the egg got away from us and we lost some beans to sticking, but the taste was amazing.  I used Sweet Baby Rays barbecue sauce.

1 Lb Navy Beans
9 Cups Water
1/2 Lb Bacon
1/4 Cup Onion, minced
1 Tbl Garlic, minced
1 Tbl Chili Powder
1/2 Tbl Hot Hungarian Paprika
1/2 Tbl Cumin
1/2 Cup Whiskey
1 Cup Barbecue Sauce
1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Molasses
4 Tbl Worcestershire Sauce

Cover the beans with water and let soak for at least 6 hours.  When done soaking, drain, KEEP THE WATER.  Add enough water until you 9 cups again.  Set aside.

Heat your egg (or your oven) to 350 degrees.

In a 3 to 5 quart dutch oven, brown the bacon until crisp.  Remove from pan.  Cook onion and garlic in bacon grease until soft.  Stir in spices then add whiskey, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, molasses worchetershire sauce and stir to combine.  Add water and beans.  

Cover dutch oven and put in egg (or oven) and cook for two to three hours, until beans are soft.  Check the liquid once an hour, adding a cup of water if they start to get dry.



No comments :

Post a Comment