Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Oct 17, 2011

Applesauce

Apples are very sweet in Pennsylvania this year due to the wet weather conditions - perfect for applesauce.  Get any variety of apples - I usually like to use two or three (or more) varieties.

Invest in an apple peeler/corer/slicer - I prefer the ones with a suction cup bottom as oppsed to one you have to clamp on - mine is green, but the ones carried in my local Bed Bath and Beyond are red. 


As you prepare them, just put them right into an 8 quart pot and fill it to the top full of apples and add only about 1/2 cup to a cup of water - just enough to have about 1/2 inch of water on the bottom.  Put it over medium low heat, put a lid on the pot and cook until the apples are soft.  When cooked, process in a food processor or, for smoother consistency, a food mill.  I prefer the Oxo Good Grips food mill (also available at Bed Bath and Beyond.)  I like this food mill because it comes apart easily as well as having three plate sizes for mill size.

After you have pureed the apples, TASTE THEM - you may not need to add sugar.  If you do, add it a little at a time (1/4 cup or less) and taste after each addition.  Eat warm, refrigerate leftovers and enjoy.  Too much to eat now?  It freezes beautifully or can be canned - make sure to follow guidelines for water bath vs pressure canning.  Next - Oatmeal Applesauce cookies.  Stay tuned.

No comments :

Post a Comment