Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Oct 22, 2011

Pennsylvania Dutch Hustle Cake

I was recently reviewing recipes that my aunt gave me and found a recipe for Pennsylvania Dutch Hustle Cake.  I was looking for a use for apples and almost passed this up until the word apple caught my eye.  This is a cake that requires patience as it is yeast raised, but it is not as sweet as a traditional cake and has a lovely flavor.  Heating it and topping it with Smucker's Low Sugar Caramel Sauce puts it over the edge.

1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup lukewarm water
2 1/4 tsp dry yeast
1 large egg
1/3 cup wheat flour, sifted
1 cup cake flour, sifted
1 1/2 cup apple slices
2 Tbl light brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Mix lukewarm water and yeast in a large mixing bowl - set aside to proof.  Scald milk.  Remove from heat and stir in butter to melt, stir in sugar and salt.  Set aside.  Beat and egg and add it to the yeast.  Stir in flour.  Add milk mixture and beat until smooth.  Spread dough in a greased 9 inch square cake pan.  Arrange apples on top.  Combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg - sprinkle on top of apples.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.  Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

No comments :

Post a Comment