Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Jan 22, 2011

Steel Cut Oats vs Rolled Oats

Steel cut oats (aka Irish oats) are oats that have had the hull removed and have been chopped into pieces.  They retain some of their bran and take longer to cook than the more traditional Rolled Oats that most people are familiar with.

Rolled Oats are oats that have been steamed, rolled flat and flakes so they cook more quickly.

Nutritionally, for one serving of each, they are very close.  If you want quicker cooking, you can use rolled or quick cooking - which are prepared similarly to rolled oats, just cut smaller.  If you have the time, try the irish oats.  They have a slightly different flavor due to the addition of the bran and I find them quite enjoyable.

To see more information, see the Cook's Thesaurus link below
Cook's Thesarus: Oats

No comments :

Post a Comment