Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Aug 8, 2011

Leftover Zucchini?

Now you have made the Zucchini Casserole and have part of a zucchini left over?  What to do?  I found myself in this spot recently and made these cookies.  The first time I made these, during the baking process, I put a dozen in the oven and could not figure out why the dough was so runny.  Then I found my flour mixture on the counter.  The cookies had not baked long, so I took them out of the oven and added them to the cookie mixture before I added the flour - that is where the idea to melt chocolate comes from.  I wish all of my mistakes came out so well. 

The coconut masks the zucchini texture.  If you don't like coconut, use oatmeal instead.


  1 1/3 Cups all-purpose flour                                                    2 large eggs
  2/3 Cup Whole Wheat Flour                                                    1 1/2 Cups Zucchini, Shredded
  1 Tsp baking soda                                                                    1 Cup Coconut
  1 Cup Shortening                                                                     2 Cups semisweet chocolate chips
  3/4 Cup light brown sugar                                                        1 Tbl Butter
  1 Tsp vanilla extract                                                               

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl or a stand mixer, combine the shortening (crisco) and sugar and mix until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until the eggs are incorporated completely. Add the shredded zucchini and mix until evenly combined.  Put 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips with 1 Tbl butter in the microwave and melt.  Stir into the cookie mixture until incorporated.    Slowly add the flour mixture until fully combined.   Add coconut and remaining chocolate chips.  Drop the cookie dough with a cookie scoop onto the baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden. Remove the cookies from the pan and cool completely on wire racks.  Should make 76 cookies, 2 cookies per serving.

Per Serving: 147 Cal (55% from Fat, 4% from Protein, 41% from Carb); 2 g Protein; 9 g Tot Fat; 4 g Sat Fat; 4 g Mono Fat; 16 g  Carb; 1 g Fiber; 9 g Sugar; 11 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 43 mg Sodium

No comments :

Post a Comment