Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Apr 19, 2012

Black and Blue

I found some very nice berries at the market this week, so I was looking for a breakfast option (besides just putting them on cereal or yogurt).  I happened on an article on the Shape Magazine website referencing smoothies.  I am familiar with the smoothies you can get out and about and I know they are too sweet and, to me, not necessarily nutritious.  The Shape article referenced using cottage cheese and protein powder to increase the nutrition.  That made me think - I don't like cottage cheese.  I have been trying different combinations of fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese and other ingredients.  I am not one to use protein powder - I would rather get my protein from raw sources, such as meat, dairy, etc.  The smoothies I like will be here.  To start, we will be getting a little black and blue - berries that is.  This is one VERY LARGE, very filling, serving.  If you like, you can also puree in a tablespoon of ground flax seed or chia seeds.


  1 Cup Blackberries                                                                  1 Cup Blueberries
  2 Tbl Pecan                                                                              1/2 Cup Water
  4 Ounce Cottage Cheese                                                          4 Ice Cubes
  4 Ounce Greek Yogurt                                                            

Combined all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.

Per Serving: 406 Cal (25% from Fat, 34% from Protein, 41% from Carb); 36 g Protein; 12 g Tot Fat; 1 g Sat Fat; 6 g Mono Fat;  43 g Carb; 12 g Fiber; 29 g Sugar; 99 mg Calcium; 2 mg Iron; 73 mg Sodium

No comments :

Post a Comment