Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Apr 17, 2012

Landscaping Fabric

Two years ago, hubby and I started landscaping.  We went to Lowe's and purchased plants, soil and opted to get landscaping fabric.  We installed the fabric around the plants, topped it with mulch and looked forward to enjoying watching the plants grow.  Then the fun started - the mulch we received had mushrooms.  Instead of nice mulch, we had a mushroom garden.  Every night the would sprout and by noon there were wilted little mushroom caps.  After the mushrooms took hold, other weeds started encroaching.  Not pretty.  I should have ripped it out then, or at least last year, but I did not want to.  No excuses, I just didn't want to.  I tried to pull the weeds, but I wasn't very consistent.

Last year, I should have ripped it up at the beginning of the season and started fresh, but I was a little gun shy, so nothing.  Except a hatching plan.  I decided to replace the mulch with stone.  I thought that I could just use the landscaping fabric to rip everything up and I certainly wasn't going to replace it as it did not appear to work.  Sunday, I started ripping up the mulch and fabric and I learned how wrong I was.  The landscaping fabric I had purchased at Lowe's worked wonderfully.  Except for the spring onions that pushed through from below and a couple of stubborn dandelions, nothing had gotten through the fabric. 

The next time you want to add or redo a garden, make the investment and get the fabric.  You'll be glad you did.

No comments :

Post a Comment