Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Jun 18, 2012

Ham Loaf - Dorothy Thomas

My mother-in-law was nice enough to share her mother's recipes,  so I made three of them and invited my in-laws to dinner.  The first one, ham loaf, reminds me of my niece as it is similar to the ham balls we have ordered the last few times we had dinner together.  This is the recipe that will require you to have access to a way to bring meat.  For the smoked ham, I purchased 3 Hatfield Smoked ham steaks.  For the pork, I purchased stew meat.  I did to want the ground sausage from the meat case as it was not just pork - it also has salt and pepper.  I used Panko bread crumbs, 1% milk and a large egg.  I was okay using a lower fat milk as I was using the higher fat stew meat.  Even though the recipe calls for soft, the panko bread crumbs worked well.  You may use any vinegar of your choice.  Apple cider vinegar is traditional, I used red wine vinegar.

1 1/2 lb smoked ham      SAUCE
1/2 lb ground pork            1/4 cup vinegar
1 cup soft bread crumbs                1/2 cup water
1 cup milk             1 cup brown sugar
1 egg          1 tsp prepared mustard

Mix ground ham, ground pork, bread crumbs, milk and egg.  Bake at 325 for 1 1/2 hours.  Combine sauce ingredients and baste every 15 minutes.


The recipe does not list a pan size.  I used a loaf pan and pressed the mixture firmly into the pan.  For this size pan, 350 was required for the time given. If using this size pan, you can halve the sauce mix.  This would also do nicely in a small cake pan.

No comments :

Post a Comment