Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Jun 1, 2012

"Putting Up" Corn - Kathleen Low Ronk

It may seem a little early in the season for this, but I was inspired by some WONDERFUL corn that I purchased at Giant this week.  If you find yourself with excess corn, you can freeze it or can it.  Both processes start with blanching the corn.  To blanch, put it in boiling water for 3 minutes then move it to ice water for 3 minutes.  Remove the corn from the cob.  DO NOT turn off or throw out the boiling water if you are going to can the corn.

To Freeze:  Divide between freezer bags, remove as much air as possible, put in freezer.

To Can:


  1 Tsp Lemon Juice                                         1 Pint Corn

Cook 1/2 hour, jar and seal.


Yes, this is exactly how the recipe is in my mother's book.  To add some clarity - put 1 tsp of lemon juice in a pint jar and fill the jar to 1/2 inch from the top with corn.  Top with boiling water, lid, ring and process in a water bath canner for 30 minutes.  The lemon juice increases the acidity so you can use a water bath canner.  If you do not add lemon juice, it should be processed in a pressure canner.  

No comments :

Post a Comment