Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Jan 3, 2014

Baked Corn - Dorothy Thomas - What I have learned

Hubby wanted baked corn for a recent meal we shared with my niece and her family.  He asked for his grandmother's baked corn.  I sent all of the leftover corn home with my niece, so I made it again the next day after having an epiphany.  Here is what I learned this time.

1.  Hubby was a little disappointed, he was looking for a firmer, bread like baked corn.  This recipe is a custard type baked corn.
2.  Stirring at least once, better twice, is key to avoid over browning.
3.  Two 14.5 ounce cans can be substituted for 1 large can.
4.  The cook time is for a relatively flat pan.  I use a 3 inch deep dish, it could take up to 1.5 hours.
5.  The original recipe says to stir all the ingredients together.  If you treat the butter/corn starch/milk as a roux, you will have less separating.

Here is how I made it most recently.  I use 1% milk, so it is a bit watery, but it is still delicious.

3 Eggs, Separated
1 Large Can Creamed Corn
2 Tbl Sugar
1 tsp Salt
2 Tbl Butter
1 Tbl Corn Starch
1 1/2 Cup Milk

Butter a large casserole dish, set aside.  Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Separate eggs, set aside.

Pour corn into a large bowl.  Add sugar, egg yolks and salt.  Stir well

In a small pot, melt butter.  Add corn starch and whisk until smooth.


Add milk, a little at a time, stirring constantly until milk thickens before adding more milk.


When all milk is added, set aside.  Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Set aside.

Add milk mixture to corn mixture, stir well.

Carefully stir in egg whites.

Pour into casserole dish.

Set casserole dish into another pan and add boiling water to bottom pan.

Bake for 60 to 90 minutes, stirring every 20 to 30 minutes.

No comments :

Post a Comment