Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

Aug 28, 2012

Potatoes and Rice - Oh Mh




Recently, a friend of mine posted about Arborio rice.  That post started my wheels spinning - what is the difference between rice.  Originally, I wanted to cover every type of rice - White, brown, black, mahogany, basmati, arborio.....the list went on, and on.......and on..........that idea was quickly squashed.  So the above chart is a general overview of white and brown rice - the two types that most of us are familiar with.  The weight for all is 100 grams.

I was not surprised to find that the lowly russet potato had fewer calories, but I was surprised at the number of fewer calories.  I use a lot of arborio rice making risotto, but when I need rice for a dish otherwise, I usually use brown or a black/mahogany mix.  White rice is a rice that has been processed to remove the husk, bran and germ removed.  You are essentially left with just a starch.  The amount of starch varies between short, medium and long grains.  The packaging of the rice says not a significant value of some things, such as protein, but it is still there.  There are pages and pages of data available about rice varieties and many types to try.  I found many of them in my local grocery store in the organic section, but I have yet to find Forbidden Rice.  Maybe in Manhattan on our trip?

No comments :

Post a Comment