Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

May 26, 2012

Kohlrabi

More family recipes next week.  Today, I had a conundrum with this week's CSA box.  It contained a Kohlrabi.  My first thought was Kohl what?  My second thought was what do I do with it?  According to the Food.com website, kohlrabi is a German word.  Kohl means cabbage, Rabi means turnip.  It looks like a turnip, it grows on top of the ground and it has a broccoli/cucumber flavor.  Okay, so now I knew what it looked like, what to do with it?  As I peeled it, I noted that it had a cabbage like smell.  A small taste reflected that odor, so I tried making coleslaw with it and it turned out beautifully.  If you have two kohlrabi, double the apple and the carrot.  Do NOT double the dressing - you will have plenty.  To learn more about CSA's, http://tryandlike.blogspot.com/2011/03/csa-join-now.html. To make the slaw:

1 kohlrabi (3 - 4 inches in diameter)
1/2 granny smith apple
1/2 cup sliced carrot
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tbl lime juice.

Peel and Julienne the kohlrabi.  Julienne the apple.  Combine with carrots in a bowl.  In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, brown sugar and lime juice.  Pour over the kohlrabi mixture.

No comments :

Post a Comment