Thoughts

Follow tryandlike.blogspot.com on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tryandlikeblogspotcom/645759758771606

Anything is good, in moderation. I cook because I love to and because I can share with those around me. I crochet for the same reason.

Do what you want to do, enjoy what you do and use it to touch those around you.

May 11, 2012

Tex Mex Macaroni

This is an especially simple to make, quick recipe.  I'll admit, it may seem an odd mix, but that is why this blog is called try and like.  Use any baked beans and barbecue sauce that you like - if you prefer to make it vegetarian, use a vegetarian bean.  I used Bush's Original Baked Beans and Kraft Thick 'n Spicy Brown Sugar Barbecue Sauce as they have very complimentary flavors.  Generally, I do not like a sweet sauce, but it really works in this case.

For the vegetables, you can use fresh, but frozen are just as good.  I used the Giant Brand steam in bag and undercooked them slightly so they could finish cooking in the sauce without over cooking.  I also added about a cup of peppers that were frozen from my garden last year - you can never have enough veggies, right?

This reheats well.  The nutrition provided is for 6 servings.


  13.25 Ounce Whole Grain Macaroni                                       2 Tbl ketchup
  14.5 Ounce Diced Tomatoes                                                  1 Pkg Taco Seasoning
  16 Ounce Baked Beans                                                         12 Ounce Frozen Mixed Vegetables
  1/4 Cup Barbecue Sauce                                                        sprinkling of crushed chili peppers

Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.  While cooking, cook the vegetables to package directions.  Combine the pasta and vegetables in the pan used to cook the pasta.  Add tomatoes, baked beans, barbecue sauce, ketchup, taco seasoning, and  crushed chili peppers to the pot.  Stir and simmer for 15 minutes.

Per Serving: 389 Cal (3% from Fat, 15% from Protein, 81% from Carb); 16 g Protein; 2 g Tot Fat; 0 g Sat Fat; 0 g Mono Fat; 84 g Carb; 13 g Fiber; 13 g Sugar; 87 mg Calcium; 4 mg Iron; 1404 mg Sodium

No comments :

Post a Comment